Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Monthly Garden Update – March 1st

Everything is more or less on schedule with some surprises. Lobelia has germinated after 2 weeks even though the packet says 20 days. I do grow it under lights (16 hours a day) and on heat mat at 28°C. Petunias and Zinnia have also germinated but I am still waiting for Salpiglossis and Nasturtium. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. The Painted Tongue (Salpiglossis) really baffle me a bit. The packet and catalog says grow in dark but last year I just sprinkled seeds on top and they have germinated in about 10 days. This morning first seedling Black Eye Susan Vine is about 1/4” above soil (planted Feb. 14).
Snapdragons Lampion (trailing) and Rocket (upright):
All seedlings are doing well. However, I have noticed that 2 seedlings in hanging basket had a leaf damage, some sort of insect was sucking on top leaves so I just snipped the tips off. After all, I was suppose to snip the tops to encourage branching. I’ll wait few days before I snip the other 3 seedlings. One thing I have noticed is that 4 seedlings have a distinctly different shape of leaves. My guess is, that since this is a mix, that there will be 4 different colors. I am so anxious to see them in bloom!
Snapdragons progress.
.
Rest of Snapdragons and Zinnia seedlings

Arugula germinated in 2 days and grows like a weed. I can't wait to harvest it for my sandwich.

No comments: